13/05/2007

Read (1)

I've just finished reading Kathy Lette's "How to kill your husband (and other handy household hints)" and I have really enjoyed this book, a lot !
Kathy Lette succeeds in stumbling from one wisecrack to another (throughout the book, however, you read less and less of those, and the plot begins to gain importance), but also she has written here a cleverly constructed, witty book with enough turns in the plot to make a Formula 1-track look like a highway through the desert...
The titles of the chapters already give away what you can expect : "If he wants breakfast in bed, tell him to sleep in the kitchen", "The reason I don't tell you when I'm having an orgasm is because you're never there", "You are going to enjoy this marriage even if I have to divorce you to do so", "Where there's a will, I wanna be in it",...
Of course the author doesn't paint a pretty picture of love, marriage, passion, work, friendship even,... but hey, it would never have been that kind of book if she did ! You don't feel like you've really learned a lot when the book's finished (well, I didn't anyway...), but you'll certainly have a smile upon your face, will have laughed out loud a couple of times and gniffled many more times, and you'll feel all the more relaxed (and possibly happier, as I'm quite sure you'll feel things aren't going that bad in your own life after all...). Sometimes that's all you need from a book, and this book sure turns out a very good investment...
Some ten years ago, a friend suggested me to read "Foetal attraction", which I didn't like very much and never quite finished. But now I can tell I've read a Kathy Lette novel all the way through and liked it too... Perhaps I should give her other books (including "Foetal attraction") another shot ?

No comments: